Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris have broken up after 15 months. Some sources report Calvin was intimidated by Taylor’s success. Some say they grew apart. Who really knows outside the circle? And while I don’t know Taylor personally (wishful thinking), I have a feeling that after some time, she will come out of this just fine.
Of course, the running Internet joke has always been that Taylor is a lyrical man-hunter post relationship. Regardless of smash hit records and mega-successful albums, from the very beginning, Taylor has always been able to illustrate so well, the euphoria and desolation of that four letter word “love”.
She reminds us that she too is human, trying to comprehend the heart’s desire to love and be loved. All of the phases of love that we experience, she experiences as well. And there is something so beautiful about an imperfectly perfect love story created by an artist who is not afraid to hold anything back.
Yes, this sometimes this leaves room for criticism. However, our greatest personal growth always takes place in direct response to adversity. My hope is you take a moment to meditate over Taylor’s following examples (song lyrics) in which she always chooses love.
Maybe we can learn to love like Taylor too.
- She loves imperfectly. “People like you always want back the love they gave away / And people like me wanna believe you when you say you’ve changed / The more I think about it now the less I know” –All You Had To Was Stay
- She loves hard and fast. “How strange that I don’t know you at all. / Stumbled through the long goodbye, / One last kiss, then catch your flight, / Right when I was just about to fall” –Come Back…Be Here
- She loves with pursuance. “I wish you would come back, / Wish I never hung up the phone like I did. / And I wish you knew that I’ll never forget you as long as I live. / And I wish you were right here, right now, it’s all good.” –I Wish You Would
- She loves more vividly than we allow ourselves to. “Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you’re already flying through the freefall / Like the colors in autumn, so bright just before they lose it all” –Red
- She loves with her heart on her sleeve. “We fall in love till it hurts or bleeds, or fades in time” –State of Grace
- She loves in the midst of misunderstanding. “We’re happy free confused and lonely at the same time” –22
- She loves with ignorance to the world. “Spinning like a girl in a brand new dress / We had this big wide city all to ourselves / We blocked the noise with the sound of ‘I need you’ / And for the first time I had something to lose” –Holy Ground
- She loves fearlessly. “And I don’t know why but with you I’d dance in a storm in my best dress / Fearless” –Fearless
- She loves honestly. “’Cause we had a beautiful magic love there / What a sad beautiful tragic love affair” –Sad Beautiful Tragic
- She loves ‘love’ for all its facets. “This love is good, this love is bad / This love is alive back from the dead / These hands had to let it go free / And this love came back to me” –This love
- She loves in the grandeur moments. “I said, ‘Oh my, what a marvelous tune’ / It was the best night, never would forget how we moved. / The whole place was dressed to the nines, / And we were dancing, dancing / Like we’re made of starlight” –Starlight
- She loves in the subtle moments. “You can hear it in the silence, silence, you / You can feel it on the way home, way home, you / You can see it with the lights out, lights out / You are in love, true love” –You Are In Love
- She loves again. “Thinking all love ever does is break and burn and end / But on a Wednesday in a cafe I watched it begin again” –Begin Again
Did you discover love in a new light? Perhaps we can grow to love more fully, honestly, vulnerably, deeply, and without fear of getting it wrong. No, we won’t always get it right. But we will certainly figure it out along the way.
Peace and blessings,
Are you interested in submitting a guest stride? Share your story about: falling in love, falling apart, and traveling the world to email@example.com